Heart for Athletes currently has the following screening events planned for Fall 2017:
- Tuesday, October 3rd – St. Michael Catholic High School – 12:30pm to 4:30pm
- Tuesday, October 24th – Alabama School of Math and Science – 12:00pm-3:00pm
- Wednesday, November 8th – Foley High School 1:00pm-4:00pm
- VOLUNTEERS – Register here!
PARENTS: Are you looking for the form to bring to the screening event? The consent form MUST BE SIGNED and brought to the event for your child to participate. Click here for the parental waiver and health survey.
Why should your teen participate in a heart screening event? A heart screening may reveal an undetected heart abnormality that could put a teen at risk for sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). There are over fifty organizations across this country (see Screen Across America) conducting events for students, and collectively we have reported that one out of every 300 students screened discovers a heart condition.
During the Heart for Athletes screening event, each athlete will take part in the following evaluation:
- Medical history – Each participant will fill out and return a medical history form, with the attached parental consent forms signed.
- Blood pressure check – Each participant will have their blood pressure checked.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG) – This test is performed while the athlete is at rest. Electrodes (small patches) are placed on the surface of the skin. The test maps the rate, rhythm and functions of the heart, and prints a tracing for physician review and interpretation.
- Physician review – A board certified pediatric cardiologist will be at the screening event and will review screening findings as described above. The physician may recommend a limited echocardiogram.
- Echocardiogram (echo) – An echo is an ultrasound image created by using a Doppler wand on the surface of the chest. This test will be performed at the direction of the evaluating physician, and will not be performed on each student.
- CPR/AED demonstration – Each student will participate in a hands-on CPR demonstration.
Times may vary, but a typical screening takes approximately 30 minutes.
Cost: The screenings will be provided free of charge, but the actual cost is about $20 per student. If you are able to donate to Heart for Athletes, 100% of your contribution will go toward our efforts to provide screenings to Baldwin and Mobile county teens. Click here to donate, or donate at the event. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Please note: Screening events are not intended for children under the care of, or who have previously seen a cardiologist, or for “second opinions” about other heart conditions. Heart screening events are specifically looking for the most common causes of SCA in young athletes.
Upcoming Screening Events:
If your school is in Baldwin or Mobile county and you are interested in hosting a Heart for Athletes heart screening event, contact us today!
If you would like to hear about upcoming heart screenings, would like to host a heart screening event at your high school, or would like to know more about CPR/AED (automated external defibrillator) classes in Baldwin & Mobile counties, please fill out our contact form. We’d love to hear from you!